Sunday, May 22

Stargate SG-1: 1 set rat gags

157° 12' NET

One of the main reasons to go to Vancouver in April was the Official Stargate SG-1 Convention which was held in there and especially since it also included a possibility to get a tour in Bridge Studios at the sets of both Stargate and Atlantis. Needless to say it was pretty cool to see all that and hear about things which go on behind the scenes. Only we couldn't take any photos at the set which was a bit disappointing but I understand the reason for it. Anyway, we did get one photo taken of us - individually, not as a group - right in the front of Stargate in the gate room. Mine is framed and has a place on my wall. Maybe I'll put a photo of that in here later.

The convention started in the Hilton hotel Friday 15th and first we were confronted with Dan Shea, stunt co-ordinator for the show and Richard Dean Andersons stunt double and 'Siler' from the series. A lot of times you see him with 'The Wrench".

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
He is a real comedian, but it seemed that most of the actors on the show are. I think it's one of the prime requirements when being in the show. Dull people are stargated away to a blackhole.

Dan Shea told about various incidents which happened on his career, how he started with Richard Dean Anderson and how he almost lost his leg in a stunt.
From that I learned that it is not a good idea to stick your foot in a rock crusher.

He also repeatedly mentioned something about playing with fire and protection gel. I think the man has a fixation.




Image hosted by Photobucket.comIt also happened that while Dan was having his act going on and cracking everyone up - for example his evident inability to keep his microphone/sender unit secured on his pants to stay there, he dropped the thing at least three times...which would make me feel a bit uncertain if my safety was in the hands of a guy who drops things repeatedly...hmmm - anyway, he suddenly received a phone call. It was his wife on the line. So, since he was on stage he of course made everyone say 'Hi!' to his spouse.

Or then it was an emergency back-up plan for those moments when you run out of anything funny to say.

Anyway, he was very amusing and did a good warm up for the rest of the day and the weekend.



Image hosted by Photobucket.comOne another person I was delighted to see was Teryl Rothery, the perky little female cuteness, who played the now-all-too-dead Dr. Janet Fraiser.

If someone deserves to be brought back to life in the show then she would be that person. I mean her character would be that person. She is anything but dead in real life.
She did say that Christopher Judge is trying to write an episode where her characted would be revived. I hope that's going to work and as soon as possible.


Then there were of course Mr. Christopher Judge and Mr. Michael Shanks.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

These two did the longest appearance and also I think were responsible for most of the laughs. Personally I came out of that whole session with new associations for apples and Virginia. I guess you had to hear it to get that. Trust me, it was hilarious.

Image hosted by Photobucket.comI also learned that Mr. Shanks may have had in his past huge difficulties to get out of bed after a good night of consuming brewery products while Mr. Judge was ready to giddy up and kick some ass.

This excellent capture portraits Mr. Christopher Judge testimonial re-enactment of the particular shanksinian head covering pull-the-blanket-in-agony movement.

Even though Mr. Shanks got his part of the punches, he also delivered his share...but I have to admit that I think Mr. Judge walked away with a bigger piece of pie than he did...but then again, Mr. Shanks got all the chicks and all Mr. Judge got was a hug from a guy.

One thing which did come out also was the fact that Mr. Shanks does not really enjoy so much going to all these conventions.

Did he have fun?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

"Well, here I am again sitting in this kill ass chair, listening to the same goddam freakin' questions again and again and again...won't she shut up already!"

Did he have fun??

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

"And what the hell is that dude shooting for? Stuff that f*ckin' EOS 300D up your a** and zoom in on that, pal!!"

Did he have fun???

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

"Ah, being an artist is so cruel, they don't understand me, I'm just an sex object for all those weird, pushy females who want to have my child! I'm more than that, I'm a human being - I think I'm going to cry now..."

Did he have fun????

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

"Oh, screw it! I'm getting paid millions and ,hey, let's face it, I am great looking guy and I get all the chicks while Chris gets hugged by guys. I'm the man, yeah!! Whoohoo! Let's do this!!"

Yeah, he did have fun...at least a little.

One interesting room in the convention was the prop showroom with bits and pieces from the show. Especially interesting for me was to see how they had reverse engineered this X-302 jet engine

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

From this

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Nothing is as clever as an engineer - especially one on reverse.

Those were the most interesting bits of the convention that I can think of now. There were a lot of stuff happening, a lot more actors appearing and also producers/directors of the show were there. They gave valuable information and insight to the process and also about the future of the shows, Stargate and Atlantis.

A full and comprehensive report of the convention can be found at Gateworld, which is a great site concerning information of the series. Check it out.

Next weekend I'm off to London to another convention and hopefully I'll see Don S. Davies who is one of my favorites from the show.

Vector at Sunday, May 22, 2005

Comments 0


0 Comments

Post a Comment